The Christian Pilgrimage, a travel diary

Text Numbers 33:1-49 Time 19/05/13 Place Childs Hill Baptist Church
In Numbers 33:1-49 we have the itinerary of the Israelites as they traipsed across the desert those 40 years passing from Egypt to the borders of the Promised Land. It is written like a military itinerary of which we have other examples in ancient literature. It tells us the places where Israel camped and broke camp (pulled up their tent pegs). Moses writes Here are the stages in the journey of the Israelites when they came out of Egypt by (military) divisions under the leadership of Moses and Aaron. Moses explains that it was At the LORD's command that he recorded the stages in their journey.
As is often the case in Numbers, some of it makes for what we find rather tedious reading. The word camped appears here 42 times and most of the rest is places, many of which are not mentioned anywhere else and we do not even know where they are. Take verses 25-28 for example
They left Haradah and camped at Makheloth. They left Makheloth and camped at Tahath. They left Tahath and camped at Terah. They left Terah and camped at Mithcah.
The problem is that it's just a list of names and the names mean nothing to us. It might be more interesting if it was
They left Mortimer Close and waited for a bus in Cricklewood Lane. They left Cricklewood Lane on the bus and got off at Cricklewood Broadway where they waited for another bus. They left Cricklewood Broadway on the bus and got off outside Sainsbury's on the Kilburn High Road. They shopped in Kilburn High Road then waited for a bus back on Quex Road.
Even then it is not that interesting unless we keep in mind the beginning and end and the purpose of the journey. Say I left here and went to Kilburn High Road to buy you all presents and caught the 328 back here to give them to you.
If we remember that these are the people of God, the people to whom Messiah would in due time be born, that they are travelling from slavery in Egypt to the Promised Land then there is more interest.
The other thing that will help us is to see that the Christian life can be thought of as a journey. I know that everybody says they are on a journey these days but we really are – a journey from slavery to heaven – and so although we need to be careful how we use biblical pictures we may say that in this passage there are helps for us on the way. So we say
1. Leaving Egypt. Think about the Christian life and its beginning
This is their journey by stages: writes Moses and he begins by noting (3, 4) that The Israelites set out from Rameses on the fifteenth day of the first month, the day after the Passover. They marched out boldly in full view of all the Egyptians, who were burying all their firstborn, whom the LORD had struck down among them; for the LORD had brought judgement on their gods.
In order for the Jews to become a nation with their own land they first had to be brought out from under the slavery that they were enduring in Egypt. And that is what God did for them at the time of the last plague and the first Passover.
Now the Bible makes quite clear that those who are not Christians are slaves, slaves to sin and to the Devil. They have no hope. It is only when we are set free and brought out as Israel was that we have hope. Because Christ the Passover Lamb has been slain we can come out and be delivered.
If you are not a Christian, you need to see where it all starts. You are a slave by nature but God can save you if you look to Christ for deliverance. If you are a Christian, remember how it started. You may not remember very distinctly your conversion but it must have happened for you to have become a Christian. Praise God that you have been brought out through Christ and are now on the road to glory.
2. Crossing the Red Sea. Think about the Christian life – it involves coming through troubles
Next we read (5-7) The Israelites left Rameses and camped at Succoth. They left Succoth and camped at Etham, on the edge of the desert. We have evidence to suggest this was a common route to follow. They left Etham, turned back to Pi Hahiroth, which means something like mouth of the canal to the east of Baal Zephon, and camped near Migdol. It sounds like they went through a gap in the canal system out into the desert.
Then it says (8a) They left Pi Hahiroth and passed through the sea into the desert. This is the briefest of references to the great crossing of the Red Sea described in Exodus. You remember how the Egyptians suddenly started coming after them and they were caught between the Egyptian army and the sea they could not cross. Troubles don't always come at the very beginning of the Christian life but they often do and one cannot be a Christian for a very long time before troubles of one sort or another come. Israel got through this crisis by first standing still and waiting on the Lord and then obeying him. Of course, it was a great miracle that led to their escape and we cannot suppose that God will always deliver us in that way. The principle of trusting the Lord at such times holds good, however. If you have ever been delivered in the past you know that it is God who did it and if you are to be delivered in the future it will be by the same method.
3. In the desert, at Marah and Elim. Think about the Christian life – it includes times bitterness and blessing
We then read (8a, 9) and when they had travelled for three days in the Desert of Etham, Exodus calls it the Desert of Shur they camped at Marah. They left Marah and went to Elim, where there were twelve springs and seventy palm trees, and they camped there.
You may remember that after crossing the Red Sea Israel went for three days without finding water. Then when they eventually did find water it was bitter. That is why they called the place Marah. God directed Moses to put a branch in the water and it miraculously became sweet. Elim was clearly an oasis in the desert and it must have been particularly delightful after what they had been through.
Now in the Christian life there are times of bitterness and sorrow and also times of blessedness and joy. The bitter times are made sweet because we know that God is in control and that he will bring us through and in the times when we are blessed abundantly and so happy we remember that we are in a journey and only passing through. Elim is not our home but the world to come.
4. In the desert of Sin. Think about the Christian life – it is good but how often we complain
10-13 They left Elim and camped by the Red Sea. They left the Red Sea and camped in the Desert of Sin. They left the Desert of Sin and camped at Dophkah. They left Dophkah and camped at Alush. Sin here is just a name (a little like Sinai) and has nothing to do with sin, although the period is characterised by constant moaning and murmuring. Daily the Israelites were being given bread from heaven and yet how they grumbled. Too often we are like that too.
5. No water at Rephidim. Think about the Christian life and how it can sometimes be marked by dry spells
In verse 14 we read that They left Alush and camped at Rephidim, where there was no water for the people to drink. Thirstiness was a common thing I the desert or wilderness. We also find in Think about the Christian life that a dryness can creep in and we find it hard to keep going. What is the answer at such times? Well, you remember what happened at Rephidim. It was there that God brought water gushing out for them in that dry and thirsty land. We are told in the New Testament that that rock was Christ and we know that it was after his death on the cross that the Holy Spirit was poured out like rivers of living water on his people. When we are dry we need more than anything else to get ourselves focused on Christ the one who sends the Spirit.
6. Sinai. Think about the Christian life – it has a place for the law
In verse 15 we read that They left Rephidim and camped in the Desert of Sinai. Of course, it was while they were in the Sinai desert that the Law was given, including the Ten Commandments. Some people say there is no real place for the law in The Christian life but that is a mistake. You cannot prove that there is a place for it from Numbers 33 but the fact is that one of its uses is to remind us of God's character and what he requires from us. Do not forget God's law.
7. Place after place. Think about the Christian life – it is marked by sin and always changing
In verses 16-36 you have a whole series of names most of which do not mean very much to us. We go from the Desert of Sinai to Kadesh in the Desert of Zin with 20 stops between, one for every two years of their time in the desert.
Kibroth Hattaavah
Hazeroth
Rithmah.
Rimmon Perez
Libnah
Rissah
Kehelathah
Mount Shepher
Haradah
Makheloth
Tahath
Terah
Mithcah
Hashmonah
Moseroth
Bene Jaakan
Hor Haggidgad
Jotbathah
Abronah
Ezion Geber
Perhaps we can make the following points
1. Sin tends to rob life of significance and retard progress
Even though this passage is covering a lengthy period and many changes there is not much worth preserving here. This we know is because much of what happened was sinful and best forgotten. The Bible does talk about people's sins but it often passes over them in silence. What we must not forget here is that it was because of their sins that the Israelites spent all that time wandering from place to place in the desert.
The Banner of Truth have just brought out a book by Garry Williams, Director of the John Owen Centre, called Silent Witnesses. In the opening part he reflects on history and writing about it. He reflects on the difficulty of portraying Christians from the past. Should we write about their sins or not? At one point he says fairly I think
Most Christians live lives that appear to be more holy than they are, not necessarily because they are deliberate hypocrites, but because many of their sins are committed in the mind and will and affections, but do not come to fruition in visible actions. It is no surprise that the heroes of the past appear more holy than they were, or that we cannot document most of their sins. The same is true of each of us.”
Our lives as Christians are marred by sins that so often rob life of its significance and retard our progress.
2. The changing nature of all that is earthly and the unsettled nature of life on earth
Perhaps the other thing to reflect on is the changing nature of all that is earthly. There is hardly a place here that we can still locate today. It is also a reminder of the unsettled nature of life on earth. As Christians we always know that earth is not our home. Heaven is. We are pilgrims, sojourners. We are on our way through as the people in the desert were.
8. On the edge of the Promised Land. Think about the Christian life and its end
The final section I want us to look at today is in 37-49. First we read of Aaron's death (37-39) - They left Kadesh and camped at Mount Hor, on the border of Edom. At the LORD's command Aaron the priest went up Mount Hor, where he died on the first day of the fifth month of the fortieth year after the Israelites came out of Egypt. Aaron was 123 years old when he died on Mount Hor.
Then we read that The Canaanite king of Arad, who lived in the Negev of Canaan, heard that the Israelites were coming. Then there is more moving
They left Mount Hor and camped at Zalmonah. They left Zalmonah and camped at Punon. They left Punon and camped at Oboth. They left Oboth and camped at Iye Abarim, on the border of Moab. They left Iyim and camped at Dibon Gad. They left Dibon Gad and camped at Almon Diblathaim. They left Almon Diblathaim and camped in the mountains of Abarim, near Nebo. They left the mountains of Abarim and camped on the plains of Moab by the Jordan across from Jericho. There on the plains of Moab they camped along the Jordan from Beth Jeshimoth to Abel Shittim.
So by this time they are on the very borders of the Promised Land. There is still a lot of sadness and wandering but it is a wonderful time. It is wonderful time when a Christian is on the borders of the Promised Land. It often happens when a person is old but it doesn't have to be then. It can be sooner.
The current Grace Magazine includes the testimony of Esther Childress who died last December at the age of only 13. She wrote a short time before
"Before I became a Christian I came to church because I had to, and not because I really wanted to. I’d rather stay at my friend’s house or at home. I was slowly moving away from God and my family – I was never at home. I would ‘bunk off’ school and deceive my parents. It wouldn’t really bother me that I was actually sinning against God and I was gradually moving into becoming not a very nice person.
And then, at the end of August last year, I remember going ... to St Ann’s hospital for an x-ray, because I was getting really bad pain in my right leg, and I wasn’t able to sleep. I was sent straight to North Mid hospital for more scans, and shortly after having a biopsy, was diagnosed with bone cancer (which was really a shock because everyone thought that it was just growing pains). In the past year I’ve been given six different types of chemotherapy, two biopsies, I’ve had two operations to remove tumours, and I’ve got a metal knee. More recently I have had radiotherapy on my leg. So far none of these treatments have worked, and there are now multiple tumours in my leg and the cancer has spread to my lungs. It has been hard when I go to the hospital and keep hearing bad news.
But throughout the ups and downs of the past year, I have never felt angry with God or questioned Him about why I am going through all of this. I feel like God is testing my faith and this illness was supposed to, and has, brought me closer to Him. Over time, as I’ve needed God more and more, it’s made me put Him at the centre of my life, and has made me into a changed person whose view on life ... is ‘live one day at a time’. I know that I am in God’s hands and I’m ready for whatever or wherever He wants my life to go – however hard it might be. Obviously I’m really praying that God will heal me, but I have put my trust in Him and I know that He will do what’s best for me, in my life. I have realized that Jesus is my Saviour and I’ve asked Him to forgive me for all of my sins. It’s so AMAZING that someone can wash away all of my sins, so that it’s like I’ve never sinned in the first place. But I know that that doesn’t mean that I can keep on sinning; I have to try not to sin – but I’m still only human, so I will make mistakes, and when I do, saying ‘sorry’ to God; but I’m trying not to, and trying to follow God’s commandments.
Before I got saved I was quite a selfish person, and always did what I wanted to do, even when I hurt someone else’s feelings, it wouldn’t really bother me because I wasn’t that other person. During this past year I’ve had to put myself in other people’s shoes because I turned into that other person. For example, because of having different operations on my leg, I’ve had to go around in a wheelchair. People look at you differently, and it makes you realize how much other people go through that are in similar situations.
I don’t expect God to heal me – He may have other plans for me. But whatever happens, it’s amazing to know where I’m going to end up on judgement day. God has given me so many blessings in my 13 years of life, and even through this last year. I went on a Mediterranean cruise; I’ve been able to spend time in Dorset, and I’ve just got a dog called ‘Hope’.
It may sound crazy but, although this illness has brought me a lot of pain and discomfort, and I can’t do everything that I would like to do, in some ways this illness has changed my life for the better. I mean, I don’t know what I would be like if I hadn’t got ill – I don’t think that I would have got saved or appreciated life, or realized that every day that I live is a blessing from God. I thank the Lord for making me ill if it meant that I realize all of these things, and made me accept Jesus as my Lord and Saviour.
I’m so grateful that God has given me 13 years of life, loving parents that have supported me, friends and family that have continued praying for me and most importantly His son Jesus Christ who died for me!"